Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Wednesday Gravestoneblogging

Image hosting by Photobucket

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night
If you come too late to see my bones
They'll lock you in with me, alone


(Lesson for all visitors: Don't wander into a London cemetery after 4 p.m.)

William Blake's remains are in Bunhill Cemetery, in (somewhat) Central London (technically in Islington). He shares a resting place with Isaac Watts, Susanna Wesley (mother of John and Charles), Daniel Defoe (but not Willem Dafoe), and John Bunyan.

Obviously, I did make it out of the cemetery. The attendant who failed to notice I was in the cemetery when he locked the gate finally noticed me as I was standing at the gate, considering how I could scale the fence to escape. It was one of those metal ones with the spikes at the top. I really didn't want to end up like the infamous "Spike Boy" of New York fame, so it was a relief to be able to walk out through an unlocked gate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Middle Kid said...

When I come to visit, you'll have to take me there. I'm a big Blake fan, and I at least liked "Moll Flanders" so I wouldn't mind seeing Defoe's grave. Let's leave before they close, though.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

Good thing for you that you can be at Blake's tombstone, touch it, and then reach over and touch Defoe's. They're that close.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home