Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Magic Burrito Bus



We've written at great length about our jones for burritos. We've journeyed far and wide tasting what London has to offer in this area, from the disappointing (the stand off of Goodge Street that had laughably mild jalapenjos), the tiny (that place over by Tottenham Court Road) and the pricey (£12 at the Texas Embassy). But we've finally been rescued.

Among the many fine amenities of our new flat is its proximity to Whitecross Street, which hosts an outdoor market on weekdays ....


... which you can see above (the steeple in the distance is St. Luke's, the former church from which our neighborhood takes its name). One of the vendors is the burrito bus in the top photo, which serves as fine a burrito as you'll find in most of the United States. I order the hot, which I am able to tolerate even with my not-so-hardy palate, so those with mouths of asbestos might consider asking them to make it especially spicy (British cuisine tending away from the super-spicy). We've been here now 10 days and I believe I've been there three times already. If it's wrong to eat a burrito every three days, I don't want to be right.

And maybe later I'll tell you about the Russian barbers on Whitecross Street who singed my ear hair off to make them smooth as babies' ... um, ears.

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger oldest kid said...

Why would you want your ear hair singed off?

12:02 AM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

I'm so glad you found someplace to get a burrito. I really don't know what my family would do without burritos on almost a daily basis!

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Burritos in London?! I don't believe it.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a carnitas burrito at Chipotle earlier this week, and thought of your sad burrito-less situation across the pond. Glad to hear it was rectified! Signed, Fatslug the Impetuous

9:56 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hooray for burritos!!!

4:45 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

Why would you want your ear hair singed off?

Because it gets long and gnarly otherwise.

9:45 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

Yuck!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

Well, mine doesn't, but these barbers were Russians and might have trained on Russians, if you get my drift.

12:53 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

I'm really glad that you clarified. Why do they singe it as opposed to clipping? Nevermind, I don't really want to know.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

It's a bit like waxing your ears, I guess.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home