Saturday, March 17, 2007

Wisdom(?) Of Crowds

I'm not enough of a blogger to write philosophically about blogging, but at this professional conference I've been attending for the last three days, I've heard the phrase "wisdom of crowds" used twice to describe the online, interactive world (once by Steve Case, particularly when referring to sites (like this one) that provide readers with the opportunity to comment.

This is not aimed at the commenters on this particular blog, who are all so very wise, but rather to crowds in general. I don't think crowd-think always leads to wise conclusions. In fact, when I think of crowd behavior, I think of events similar to this:



I hope the internet world drops this buzz-phrase soon.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger oldest kid said...

It's interesting how the Simpsons are such an accurate reflection of our society. You can find a Simpsons episode to reflect just about any situation.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Simpsons is compelling but so is James Surowiecki's book, which started the whole thing.

It definitely sold me on the idea and is well worth a read if you fancy it

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home