Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Taming of the Toilet

I'm the type who takes it personally when a computer would rather shut down or freeze than execute my commands. So when I couldn't manage to flush the toilet in our new flat, I rolled up my sleeves and stepped up to the bathmat...

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

So the handle (illustrated above) turns like a crank. And I'd turn about 270 degrees, water would start moving, and then... nothing. Nada. Zilch. At first, we assumed something was broken. Our landlord's agent assured us that it was us, not the toilet. "You've just got to turn it really hard," he says. Ok... so I tried again. And again. I tried cranking it hard, cranking it fast, and cranking it multiple times in a row. Honestly, the last time I spent this much time standing over a toilet with a wet brow, I'd had about 12 shots of this the night before.

Wait, did it just flip me off?!

Image hosting by Photobucket

I uttered some choice words and did what most women in my situation end up doing: I called in my man. I don't know what Smitty did to it, but tonight when I got home, it flushed on the first try! Praise Zeus!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I'm glad to hear it was tamed. :) Here, most toilets give you two options... the half flush or the full flush, depending on what you have deposited... we're all about saving water when possible :)

9:28 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

From the pictures, it looks like we'll need a lesson in toilet flushing when we visit!

3:43 AM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

Wow. Who'd'a thunk I'd be toilet training my older sister.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

What? Smitty and Oldest Kid are related? Who would ever have guessed that? You can't tell me that Aussie Sarah and Smitty are related at any level though -- I'd never believe that!

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home