Friday, February 03, 2006

My Bookie

No, not this:

Image hosting by Photobucket

This:

Image hosting by Photobucket

Bookies are legal here, and while I'm not a big gambler, I couldn't resist. I know nothing of the Six Nations Rugby other than France (?!) is the odds-on favorite to win. Nor do I know too much about Premiership football other than that Chelsea's pulling away, Man U's been taken over by Malcolm Glazer and Arsenal's having a terrible year. But I did feel confident enough to walk in and make a bet on the Super Bowl, and since I won't be going to Bill and Michelle's Super Bowl party this year, this may be some consolation.

I imagine a sports bookie is a depressing hangout on a weekend. I would imagine half the people are there to play for fun and the other half are there for a big score to pull themselves out of a financial hole. As it was, on a Thursday afternoon, it was more silent than anything. Monitors displayed odds for a number of racetracks and upcoming rugby and soccer matches, and one monitor showed greyhound racing (you could even bet on which trap at the greyhound track would start the most winners). The cashier was confused at the notion of the Super Bowl. "Is that American football?" she asked, although it could be that she was trying to bait the Yank for fun. In any case, Pittsburgh winning by 7 to 12 points was paying out at four to one, so I bet five pounds. (Pittsburgh by 1 to 7 points was paying out at eight to 12, which isn't much of a bet.)

(By the way, Euromillions, the EU's version of the Powerball, is up to 125 million pounds, the biggest ever jackpot in Europe. Sure, I'll buy a ticket.)

By reputation, the English will bet on almost anything, including news events and world politics. I think I'll find out what the odds are on a Bush impeachment by the end of 2007.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

So, the bookie is really called Ladbrokes? :)

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home