Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Speak Clearly And Distinctly

I thought I was the only one who had trouble with British dialects. From The Sun:
A TEENAGER called directory inquiries to book a taxi but ended up having a cabinet delivered – because she asked for a “cab, innit”.

The 19-year-old Londoner wanted a taxi to take her from her home to Bristol airport, and first asked for the number using the Cockney rhyming slang “Joe Baxi”.

When the baffled operator told her she could not find anyone listed by that name, the teen snapped back: “It ain’t a person, it’s a cab, innit.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Werbenmanjensen said...

An English colleague told me he'd never heard of this particular rhyming slang before. Cockney is dying.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Ms Detterick said...

This is hilarious...I've taught kids where I have to listen really closely to understand them!

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home