Tuesday, April 01, 2008

The things I missed

I've just returned from my longest trip to the States since we landed in Jolly Olde. Here's a short list of things I missed about the U.S.:
1. Customer service. Seriously. Any shop I walked into, the clerks were all too eager to help. Here, you're keeping them from a fag break.
2. Friendliness. Londoners aren't as cold or callous as they're made out to be, but people in New York will actually look you in the eye and smile, whether in the office or on the street. And yes, I'm talking about New Yorkers.
3. The weak dollar. Bring on the sales! How low can it go!
4. Trash cans. I know why they took them out of London, but that doesn't make it less annoying for those of us who refuse to clutter the buses and the tube with our Starbucks cups and KFC leftovers.
5. Skyscrapers. There's just something about the dramatic skyline of New York, even sans World Trade Center, that warms my heart. It makes me feel like this.
6. Bars where the waitress takes your drink order. That said, one does get impatient when they don't come around as often as you think they should. Kind of like the full service/self service debate about New Jersey gas stations.
7. Last but not least, family and friends of course!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They took the rubbish bins out of the tube a long time ago thanks to the wonderful folks in the IRA.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home