Sunday, November 05, 2006

Overheard in the lunch queue

Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. Since we had some VIP visitors, I didn't want to spend my limited time with them in front of the computer.

In my triumphant return to posting, let me ask you a burning question that was thrust upon me in the lunch queue on Friday: When does history become history?

I was minding my own business, really, texting my friend as I waited my turn at the Thai food stand in Whitecross Street. But I couldn't help but overhear the quartet of blokes in front of me as they were talking about the History Channel.

Bloke #1: The History Channel considers it fair game to do a programme (this is how he would have spelled it, ok?) on something that happened two weeks ago. That's how they got away with doing all that on 9/11 so quickly.

Bloke #2: That's rubbish. To me, the 17th century, that's history. Yes, anything after the 17th century is really modern times.

Bloke #3: Yes, an order of pad thai please. Yes, with chicken, please.

So is it just me, or is that a really elitist attitude to take toward history? I can't bring myself to consider a time when women were essentially forced to get married or join a nunnery "modern times." On the other hand, it was nice to hear a bunch of 20-something young men passionately discussing history. You would not overhear this conversation in the U.S., unless you were in the queue at the nearest Chipotle to Harvard.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Werbenmanjensen said...

Your comment about distance is spot on. I recall telling an English co-worker about our recent trip to Wiltshire. When I said it was just a day trip (the drive time round trip, including traffic, was about six hours), the reaction I got was, "You didn't stay overnight?"

6:43 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

At 8 pounds a gallon, affording it ain't easy. Luckily, as Streetcar members, it's someone else's problem (well, other than the fact that the petrol price is built into the hire price).

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home