Friday, October 13, 2006

Trulli, Madly, Deeply

Outside of the grand basilicas, the distinctive architecture of Puglia are the trulli--round stone houses capped by a conical roof. An apocryphal story suggests that their popularity stems from the Italian practice of tax evasion--it was quick and easy to dismantle a trullo, transforming a taxable farm building into an untaxable pile of stones when the assessor came around, for example. Whatever the case, a visitor can find quite a few of these distinctive little huts throughout Puglia, but their epicenter trulli is Alberobello.

(How man trulli/truly puns are there? Readers can try their hands in comments.)

I'm not going to write a whole lot about Alberobello, because I think Mrs. Werbenmajensen wanted to write about an award-winning meal we ate there and our visit with the gregarious Mimmo Palmisano in his wine/cheese/olive oil/regional delicacy shop. And because I forgot my manpurse during our day in Alberobello, I don't have good photos. But on the upside, I had my mobile phone, which takes video.

From the courtyard of the Trullo Sovrano:


An overlook of the trulli quarter:


A trulli street:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beware of the people of Puglia;
The way they build homes is pecuglia.
Their houses are cones
Of detachable stones,
So if you're a taxman, they'll fuglia.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

I would say a limerick is trulli better than a pun.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

See, I was expecting one of Schmutz's horrible puns as the first response. I was trulli surprised and delighted by the limerick.

2:36 AM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

Wow, I feel trulli inadequate!

2:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A Trulli Awful Limerick" is the title of my poem!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

These are the best comments ever! Trulli!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Werbenmanjensen said...

Sorry, that last comment was mine, not Smitty's. Didn't realize he was logged in. Ha ha.

7:05 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

Wow, Schmutz and Fatslug really came through, trulli!

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home