Sunday, March 26, 2006

Adventures in IKEA

So Smitty and I had our first semi-suburban experience in London -- taking the bus to IKEA. Our Swiss friends have convinced us that IKEA rocks, especially when you are living in a city flat (apartment), desperately need space-saving storage solutions and refuse to pay 18 pounds ($31) for a bloody shower curtain at James Selby. (I mean, it was made of VINYL! As Gob Bluth would says, C'MON!)

Neither Smitty nor I got what we REALLY wanted; for him, that was a shelf to add storage capacity under the thing we've decided to call a hutch, rather than a buffet, and for me, it was this really cool shoe storage thingy. But we did get a vinyl shower curtain for 2.99 pounds (score!) as well as some nice sheets and a dish rack.

And -- as if these purchases weren't enough to convince me that IKEA does in fact rock -- they also offer a home delivery service! (For a reasonable fee.) You take the bus to the store, shop, pay for your items and then they arrive at your home the next day. Brilliant! And, because we had to switch buses at a shopping mall to get to the IKEA, Mrs. W also discovered what she deems a Level A mall at Brent Cross. While she loves shopping on the high street, the mall is her native habitat. I smell a trip next week when Smitty's out of town...

7 Comments:

Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

The name of the post reminds me of that Pavement song, Date With Ikea, which has nothing to do with Ikea, as far as I can tell.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

I just had to bring that up.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

I just read the lyrics and realized I know that song. I didn't know the band or the name of the song. Some really wonderful person I know made me some compilation CDs for an important birthday and that song was on it. I listen to those CDs all the time.

5:58 PM  
Blogger John Burkholder said...

We have a couple big Ikeas here in Chicagoland. We love them. Thay rock.

3:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The IKEAs at Potomac Mills and Beltsville also rock. (Too bad they're both far from West Alexandria, where I live.) Do they have the Swedish meatballs at the British IKEAs, or does mad cow disease put the kibosh on serving them there?

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice site.
chamber online
read http://chamber.xbuv.info/ chamber online
Bye

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alege cele mai calitative Rafturi Metalice de pe site-ul nostru. Noi suntem cei mai buni distribuitori de rafturi metalice din Romania. Convinge-te acum de acest lucru! rafturi depozitare

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home