Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Pearly Kings





This is something I've been meaning to write about for some time. The Pearly Kings (and Queens) are a tradition that's so London it hurts. Its origins are with the Cockneys, and as you can see the gent above has as his kingdom the area within earshot of the Bow bells, making him the cockniest of Cockneys. Now a charitable society, the Pearly King originated among the street vendors of London's East End. I'll recommend you go to the Wikipedia entry on the Pearly Kings and Queens if you want to read more about their origins. I can't link from here since I'm writing remotely.



-- Post From My iPhone

4 Comments:

Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

I should probably note that the Pearly Kings and Queens were taking part in a harvest festival at the Guildhall.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Schmutz said...

I would guess that the suits are heavy and a little difficult to move around in with all those buttons.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

I always wondered about the "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" people. Now I know.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

umdiddlediddlediddleumdiddleaye

That's fantastic. I never knew that about London ... but then again I'm south of the river, miles away from the action.

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home