Tuesday, May 22, 2007

What Is Keyser Soze Doing On My Money?



Howdy. Mrs. Werbenmanjensen did a fine job manning the shop alone while I spent time in Hungary, where the local currency is the forint, trading as I write this at about 363 to a single British pound. I'll have more to say later about my trip to Gyor, a city that inspired no photography from me. But I would like to note the similarity between the bloke pictured above on the 1,000-forint note and the mythical character Keyzer Soze from the brilliant 1995 film The Usual Suspects. Perhaps it's just a gambit to scare petty thieves.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Middle Kid said...

He does have Kevin Spacey's chin!

3:58 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

Who is he really?

1:36 AM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

It's Keyser Soze!

Actually, a Google search tells me it's King Matthias I. Whoever he is. Probably related to Schmutz.

(Oh, and MK: was Keyser Soze the character we know in the rest of the movie as Verbal (Kevin Spacey) or was it Kobayashi (Pete Postlethwaite)? There seems to be a dispute about it on the internet, where important matters are debated, because there are those who claim the fax at the end looks like Kobayashi. Of course the translation of Soze into Turkish is very close to "Verbal" and Keyzer Soze would translate loosely into "King Verbal," which is close to "Verbal Kint," so nearly all the clues point to Kevin Spacey.)

7:37 AM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

You will note there are the words "Matyas Kiraly" near the top of Keyzer Soze's mane. I'd lay odds that's Magyar for "King Matthias."

8:09 AM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

I have to admit that I only saw the movie once, but I thought the fax looked like Kevin Spacey. Further, as he was leaving the police station, he was limping for a time and then picked up the pace and stepped into a limo (was it driven by Kobayashi?), which seems to indicate that Verbal Kint was not who he seemed to be. Keyzer Soze? I don't know, but I'm not going to sit through that movie again to decide and debate.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home