Monday, May 28, 2007

Tudor humor


Hampton Court Palace was crawling with folks dressed in period costume. An expensive hobby, no doubt. But they made the tours of the state apartments lively, and even set the mood for us by saying King Henry VIII was waiting for an answer to his marriage proposal to Catherine Parr. Apparently she had given her heart to a rogue, Thomas Seymour if I recall correctly. This prompted our guide, wife of the lord chamberlain, to ask several ladies in the crowd, "Would you choose a king or a rogue?" Everyone went with the rogue. (SPOILER ALERT: In the end, she gets both.) One man (who wasn't asked his opinion) piped up, "The king was a randy old goat." Funny, that guy sort of disappeared halfway through the tour. Hmmm. There was a dungeon somewhere...

15 Comments:

Blogger Schmutz said...

In my opinion, the king was the rogue.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Schmutz said...

If I've done things right, I should have an avatar, too - finally.

8:24 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

Perfect!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

That is perfect, Schmutz!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

Dang it. Now I want to be Churchy La Femme!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Schmutz said...

Did you know Churchy's real name is Churchill? (Something I learned while searching for my avatar.)

11:57 AM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

Smitty, I somehow believe that Bart is exactly the right fit for you. I do think it's interesting that the three of us have chosen cartoon characters.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

Some of us feel more connected to "reality."

3:45 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

The Brady Bunch was a live-action cartoon.

9:26 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

I have a hard time thinking of the Brady Bunch as reality!

12:44 AM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

Well, maybe. But the picture is of a real person.

5:48 AM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

A real person pretending to be someone else, not her real self! Not really different from my avatar who is an elegant, brave fictional queen.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

If you'll all notice, I wrote "reality" not reality. There's a difference. I actually would have had no idea who your avatar was if Smitty hadn't tipped me off. What's her name? I think I always skipped that particular comic strip.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

Don't lay that one on me. And doesn't anybody have to say anything about cows or language (upstairs, nudge nudge wink wink)?

10:07 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

OK. I'll move on to "buns." That seems ripe for a discussion. Do bikers have much in the way of buns?

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home