Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Queen and I

Yesterday my new friend and I went to go see a movie that has tongues wagging all over Britain: The Queen. I am not sure it's showing in the U.S. yet so do check your local movie listings, but let me tell you: If you see one movie this year, see Casablanca.

No, seriously, this is worth seeing because it provides some insight into how aristocracy works (or doesn't). The closest we have to aristocracy in the U.S. are this idiot and people related to this ex-president. No sacred traditions there. It also reminds you that the U.K. doesn't have a written constitution, which is, at least to this American, really really scary. Of course, even when you do have one, nonsense like this can happen.

But back to the film: Dame Helen Mirren does indeed give an Oscar-worthy performance as E2R (tell me that's not an uncanny resemblance), and James Cromwell spot on as the Duke of Edinburgh. The film records the week of Princess Diana's death, and how Downing Street (in the person of Tony Blair) and the royal family each dealt with the aftermath of the tragedy. The director spliced in actual news footage of the funeral, of people weeping in the mall outside Buckingham Palace, so Smitty wouldn't have liked it. (Too much "Diana worship.") But I did. (Yes, OK, I have Princess Diana's funeral on videotape, so what?) It's an interesting portrait of the institutions that rule Britain. I am reluctant to say too much, lest I be labeled a "spoiler."

4 Comments:

Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

For the record, Diana did powerful work for many charities and her death was tragic and sad. My characterization of anything as "Diana worship" is built around my belief in republicanism (small r). Let's take an example: Had Diana been a businesswoman on the level of Anita Roddick, who has done much for charity, and died tragically, I doubt that the sorrow would have been as pronounced, as public, and as televised. What made Diana's death into the weeklong spectacle that it was is that she was born well and married well. Nothing personal, but at the core of it, Diana was worshipped, if you will, because of who her parents and ex-husband were.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I saw this advertised in Oz yesterday and thought it looked interesting. I will have to go on half price Tuesday once it is showing :)

6:14 AM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

It doesn't seem to be playing at our local Cinemark...

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Farmer Hoggett as the Duke of Edinburgh! Who'd-a thunk it? Seriously, I'm very interested in this film--it should be opening next month in the U.S. Helen Mirren has been one of my favorites since The Long Good Friday, which I passionately urge you to rent if you have not seen it.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home