Thursday, August 31, 2006

'You Stupid Git!'

This was the message from Mrs. W to me yesterday morning when she emailed me the following article from the Telegraph:

It is bucketing down outside, the summer holidays mean that you have been closeted with your loved one for longer than either of you might like and your mother-in-law is on the phone asking if you are going to her for Christmas.

It is a recipe for tension and makes today, Aug 30, the day that most couples have arguments, it is claimed.

Relationship experts say that post-holiday depression, domestic chaos, financial strains and lack of sunshine contribute to rows.

We might call this a "slow news day" story in the United States, but it appears that the London media seems to love the "this is the day that X" in any given year. We saw it earlier when the newspapers told us that the first Monday in February is the day workers are mostly likely to call in sick. And now this.

And after Mrs. W called me a git, I made sure that I told her to bugger off.

4 Comments:

Blogger oldest kid said...

Schmutz has a good point. Unfortunately, I didn't find out that spousal argument day was Aug. 30th until the 31st. So, now I have to wait a whole year!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

Don't worry, O.K. For those of us in the U.S., I bet the bugger off day would be Labor Day. That way you only have to wait until Monday.

4:25 AM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

I don't think I want to celebrate SAD on Labor Day. I'd rather rest!

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering that Britain is the homeland of such happy couples as Basil & Sybil Fawlty, Richard & Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced "Bouquet"), and the Macbeths, I'm not sure that having a national spousal argument day is such a good idea.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home