Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Sporting matters

Right now, the Commonwealth Games are going on in Melbourne--it's late summer there--and it's kind of a big deal in the Commonwealth, where the sun still never sets. Aussie Sarah has some good posts up on it because she's watching it live--good on her! Watching it on TV, I've learned several things:

1. Scots can swim. Who knew?
2. The Isle of Man gets its own Commonwealth Games team (and has a gold medal in the 20K cycling scratch race), as well as Guernsey, Jersey, the Cook Islands ....
3. An event that involves sprint, jump, throw, jump, sprint, sleep, sprint, throw, jump, throw, jog a mile is the most grueling event in track and field, even more grueling than running the marathon, if you listen to the Beeb comentators.
4. Scrums in rugby 7s look absurdly small.

The Cheltenham Festival
I guess this is a big deal here, too--four days of steeplechase racing in Gloucestershire. However, any event that involves killing so many horses doesn't get a thumbs up from me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Go Isle of Man!! I also learned some new countries... Montserrat, Kiribati, Niue, & Nauru. I don't think I had heard of any of those before. Everytime I hear Guernsey, I get a song in my head that my dad has on a cd: '...lived a Guernsey cow from the dairy-o...' He has such great taste in music!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

Isle of Man has its own language.

It's true!

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home