Monday, March 20, 2006

Food matters

Church-goers in our audience know that this is Lent. While technically a season of abstinence, it also happens to be the time of year when we in the States would see certain types of candy appear--most specifically, the Cadbury Creme Egg and Peeps. In the UK, however, it appears that the Cadbury Creme Egg is a year-round delicacy. On the other hand, Peeps are nowhere to be found. The best I can hope to do is attempt to gnaw my way through the stale Peeps that were in the back of our pantry in the states ...

Image hosting by Photobucket

... and, like several other unintentional imports, are now in our London kitchen. But I will leave dear reader with this web site that warns about the dangers of Peeps smoking and drinking before they're old enough.

Jaffa Cakes
Today I have been awakened to Jaffa Cakes, a sort of soft, cake-like cookie with a an orange-cream layer and chocolate frosting. They're very popular.

Vegetarian haggis
My favorite butcher was closed today, but I noticed a sign on his door that said he is a registered agent for MacSween haggis, which sells a vegan variety of haggis. It sounds like a contradiction of terms to me, too. Regular haggis isn't so good that I'd knock myself out to eat it again, but maybe it's better if you remove such ingredients as sheep's blood and innards.

7 Comments:

Blogger Middle Kid said...

Real, hardcore vegans never eat any meat analogs. I'm curious about what kind of person would eat vegan haggis. Did you ever really eat the peeps when you were a kid? I know I only ever ate one.

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so you know, Smitty, my team (the Devils, by the way) won the house Squirt Championship yesterday!!!!!

7:02 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

I don't believe I've ever eaten more than one bite of a Peep. A friend at church told me they had a Peeps jousting tournament--something about two peeps, a microwave and toothpicks.

And, vegan haggis sounds almost palatable, especially compared to the real thing.

And, is MK's OK a Devil?

1:32 AM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

And congrats to MK's OK, too! What a great result!

Have you guys heard of Bandy?

Is it possible to get ice big enough to play Bandy where you live?

6:49 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I was just thinking about Peeps the other day as I was looking at some Cadbury Creme eggs... they are nowhere to be found here, either... however, I can't say I will particularly miss eating them. I did enjoy looking at their bright, puffiness in stores.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO! YOU ROCK, MK'S OK!
-- CRAZY HOCKEY AUNT

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the UK, however, it appears that the Cadbury Creme Egg is a year-round delicacy.

Ooh, not quite: there's a period after Easter when you can't find them. Mini Eggs are much nicer; though I did bring Peeps and Bunnies over for my sister's kids, just to show how the Americans haven't quite got Easter food right.

And the real novelty for Americans will be the display of hollow chocolate eggs, ranging from the semi-traditional (Cadbury Buttons) to the extremely posh and expensive.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home