Sunday, January 22, 2006

English as a second language

I don't speak English; I speak American, apparently. Here are a few words I've learned in the last 10 days so that I can be understood by Brits (an American to English translation follows):

elevator=lift
checking account=current account
jerk=wanker
first floor=ground floor
second floor=first floor (cuz it's the first one above the ground)
mail=post
sidewalk=pavement
mobile=cell phone
private school=public school (I still don't understand this one)
bathroom=toilet (This is especially funny when someone says, as someone did to me, "I left my mobile in the toilet.")

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss A said...

Us Aussies tend to use those "English" terms you cited. Except we say "mobiles" and also agree that public school is public!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home