Wednesday, September 26, 2007

More Things That Are Better Back Home

Peanut butter.

Some of you may know (or have been enlisted into this effort) that we ask our American visitors to bring us peanut butter. The British peanut butter tastes funny. I don't know if it's the sugar content or the oils, but it just don't taste right! The American brand that we've seen here, Skippy, comes in these laughably small jars. Peanut butter is a staple, folks! It is not a condiment!

As a postscript: I've complained of the tiny little jars on an online forum of mostly Brits. One response: "No, our jars are the correct size. American jars are too big."

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger oldest kid said...

I found a different brand of Jaffa Cakes (not McVitie's) in the "British" section of a local store and decided to try them. They were a sad disappointment! I have a giant jar of Jiff Peanut Butter here at home right now. Perhaps I could trade it for some Jaffa cakes!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

There is only one Jaffa Cake, and you can get them from this Ohio establishment, if it's important to you.

(Actually, there are at least two brands, but McVitie's is the best. Oh,and try their digestives.)

1:53 PM  
Blogger The Auld MacLaren said...

I'll trade you a jar of peanut butter for a jar of good black current jam!

12:23 AM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

I did find some McVitie's digestives and found them to be very bland. Perhaps I should try the chocolate kind. I believe the Jaffa cakes I found (that I didn't like) were called David's jaffa cakes. I have found some Pim's cakes that are similar to McVitie's and will do in a pinch (I think they're French).

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home