Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A Saturday In Cambridge

Mrs. Werbenmanjensen had to work all weekend, but I thought it might be worth it to head up to Cambridge to see what the fuss is about.


Looks like any university campus quadrangle on a sunny spring Saturday. Note: The shirtless blokes playing frisbee in the foreground had American accents. You can also see a very well-done six-lane 200-meter track in the foreground. Takes me back to junior high ... minus the well done and the six lanes.

I wandered through the business district a bit, but my newly purchased Cambridge A-to-Z told me I was parallelling the river. So I cut through the grounds of Downing College ...


... which turned into a bit of a dead-end, although I eventually found my way out into a long row of mews, parking lots, courtyards and alleys until I got to a street that would take me down to the river ...


... called the Cam River (Cam + Bridge = Cambridge. Simple, eh?) The blokes poling the punts up and down the river were alleged to be students.

Upriver, above the lock, are the self-hire punts ...

... which, as you can see, turns into a bit of an amateur hour.



Hey, who let that kayak in here? And where is it going?


Oh, maybe to the "whitewater," a 10-foot bit of roughness resulting from the water sluicing around the side of the lock.

Next time I'll punt up the river to visit such famous sites as Trinity College, St. John's College and Jesus Ditch.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger zeditor said...

Next time you go there, have a pint at the Pickerel on Magdalene Street. It's been a pub since the 16th century -- maybe longer.

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home