Sunday, January 28, 2007

Spamtastic!

Yesterday was my xxth birthday, and Smitty showed me a good time.

We hit the matinee showing of Spamalot, the musical based on the classic British comedy film Monty Python and the Holy Grail. My favorite number was a send-up of sentimental Broadway showpieces, a la "Memory" from Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical Cats.

We had some time to kill before our dinner reservation, so we walked through Berwick Street looking at CDs in the music stores there, and wandered through Covent Garden. Then we dined at Origin, a relatively new spot near the West End theaters. The food was amazing! We were served a butternut squash soup in a teacup, a kind of palate cleanser I think, and then I had pork lasagna to start, followed by venison pot roast served with a broccoli puree and sheets of hibicus flowers. Mmmm. Smitty had a ravioli of some kind to start, and then a nice thick steak fillet. It was Spamtastic!

7 Comments:

Blogger oldest kid said...

Wow! Happy Birthday to you, Mrs. W! We have tickets to see Spamalot in June and I've really been looking forward to it. Next weekend we're going to see Swing!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

It was very good. I think OLPWLH would have approved.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

Wait a second . . . I lost track of how many animals you devoured during that meal.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

All of them.

5:15 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

What does a sheet of hibiscus flowers taste like?

9:14 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

From the bite I had, it gave the venison a sort of slightly sweet chutney flavor, like cranberry sauce on turkey.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Mmm... butternut squash soup! We had some of that on a boat in New Zealand on a cold and rainy day and I think it was the best soup
I've ever eaten. Happy Belated Birthday, Mrs. W!

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home