Friday, December 22, 2006

The Bureacratic Moebius Strip

"Hi, I'd like to register for a National Insurance number."
"We will need to see proof that you're working or actively looking for work. Are you working right now?"
"I'm self-employed."
"Are you registered as self-employed?"
"No. I need a National Insurance number to register as self-employed."
"We can't give you a National Insurance number unless you're working."
"I am working."
"You just said you weren't."
"I'm self employed."
"That doesn't mean anything. Are registered as self-employed?"
"I can't register as self-employed unless I have a National Insurance number."
"We can't give you a National Insurance number unless you're working ..."

(Happily, the people at HM Revenue and Customs were much more helpful. You know, I'm only doing this because I want to be a good citizen. I could have just simply tried to work and not pay taxes ...)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sinfonian said...

It's an Escher bureaucracy!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

I found this limerick when I looked up "Mobius Strip" on Wikipedia:

"A mathematician confided
That a Möbius band is one-sided,
And you'll get quite a laugh,
If you cut one in half,
For it stays in one piece when divided"

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home