Monday, June 19, 2006

Finnegan's Island

I promised you more on the pop culture differences, and here it is. An American lad at work was playing sound clips from some of the more famous American TV show theme songs. At one, an English person piped, "Oh, that's `Dynasty.'" (Said DIN-es-TEE, not DIE-nas-tee).

And then came a familiar sea shanty to which many of my generation know the words, because it was in syndication and you had to watch 5 episodes in a row if you were ever home sick from school. And another English person says, "I know that one. It's Finnegan's Island." To which an American replied, "Isn't that Ireland?"

What the nice English person meant, of course, was 'Gilligan's Island'. If Skipper had been there, he would have whacked the guy over the head with his hat. And, lest you think I wouldn't know anything about British TV, I was able to identify the actress who played Janet in Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps at a recent Shakespeare production in Regents Park. So there.

More to come on the sports scene, and my relationship with plants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home