Friday, May 05, 2006

Singapore slinger

We here at AA believe in truth in advertising. We call ourselves Americans Amuck, and dangit, we are. Last week the States, this week Singapore, next week, back in jolly old England. Wheeeeeeeeeee!

This was my first trip to Asia. It was fantastic. My only regret is that since I was here for business, I didn't get to do much that was touristy. I did, however, have one of these in the famous Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel. Mmmmmmmmmmm. And the best Asian food that has ever passed my lips and not come back up, like pepper crab from Sri Lanka and some kind of crunchy fried squid thingy (which was kinda sweet). And excellent hospitality from strangers and colleagues alike. Really, I must confess, I'm a little reluctant to depart.

The weather was hot, more than 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and let me say this: it was NOT a dry heat. For someone who has adjusted to a cool climate, it was rather a shock to my sweat glands. And my hair never looked frizzier. Thank God the British brought air conditioning here.

I'll post more on my impressions of the island nation, which is having elections tomorrow, and of Asia in general, after I return to London and recover from jet lag. Whenever that is!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Singapore its a "fine" city.

When I was in Singapore (also for business) I went into a store to by some bottled water, and threw the empty bottle away in a trash can 10 feet from the door it was so fricking hot & humid.

Did you go to "Lucky Plaza"? You name it, they sell it there, and there's a good chance they'll make you buy it whether you want it or not. Amazing.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

So glad you got in the famous Raffles... as my husband was in shorts, they wouldn't even let us in the lobby! Guess you were appropriately dressed :D We did get to take some pictures of the outside!

12:15 AM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

Wow, is that really your hair!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Werbenmanjensen said...

Ha, no, that's not a photo of my hair. But it did look more or less exactly like that by day 2 of my visit.

And yes, since I was going to Raffles directly from my business meeting, I had a jacket and slacks on. I must say, it was the best customer service I had the whole time I was there. Your empty glass hits the table and they run over with the drink menu! (I was told waitstaff aren't well-paid there and are often yelled at by white ex-pats, so they don't try very hard.)

I didn't go to Lucky Plaza, but there was a wharf area along the river where there was a row of restaurants. They would literally chase you down the wharf reading you their menus. "Want chili crab? Want duck? Good Thai food!"

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ate at a restaurant on that wharf also. Good food, but the aggresive resturant-pimps were very obnoxious.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home