Thursday, February 16, 2006

Now with less mayo!

I went to a nearby sandwich joint today, one I go to often. I didn't want to go there, but I was forced to by a freak hailstorm. As I scanned the shelves of pre-made sandwiches for the one that would fill my belly, I spied the classic club sandwich, advertised as "now with less mayo." In the U.S., that would not be advertised. The proprietor of the establishment would hope no one would notice that he was skimping on the creamy white stuff.

As I munched my lower-fat lunch, safe from the small pellets of ice descending on businessmen who were walking sans umbrellas as if this happened everyday, I felt a yearning deep within. A feeling as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I wanted Chipotle.

What I wouldn't give for some spicy shredded beef, braised with chipotle adobo, smothered with guacamole, sour cream, salsa and wrapped in a tortilla. Mmmmmmmmm. Mmm. I love Chipotle! Sigh. Excuse me while I go eat my toad in the hole and drink my Pimms and coke now.

11 Comments:

Blogger Middle Kid said...

I just emailed a message to Chipotle to see if they are going to expand to London any time soon. I'm sorry you can't have your favorite food!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh... Chipotle is so yummy! We have been to an American owned similar place here called Loco's, but they don't have as many choices as Chipotle... it is good, though and some of the most authentic Mexican we have found here...

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The canonical Mexican food in London thread, still going strong after three years.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

Well, there's always pasties.

8:18 AM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

Since Chipotle is really just a type of sauce, maybe you could find a recipe, or we could ship you some from Texas! Then you could pour it over your pasties.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

Ooh, yeah, and could you send along one of those pastry syringe doodads? Then we could squirt the chipotle sauce into the pasty.

Yeah. That'd be really good.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walking into Pret with a big syringe full of chipotle... now that I'd like to see. :)

11:49 AM  
Blogger TheMemoWriter said...

I remember that feeling. It hit me about the third week. I tried Burger King and Subway to get me by, and eventually moved to the kebaps and wagamamas. Now I miss all the food over there actually. And I miss London in general.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Werbenmanjensen said...

You know Wagamama is great, and not horribly expensive; actually the Asian food here is great. I have no qualms about the food in general. But when you want a burrito, you want a burrito. I ordered one at a food stand in Camden market, and it didn't even come close. Sigh.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Chrysler hunter jeep Ais callcenter mexican chick with huge tits 1 sear air conditioners Angeles medical malpractice attorney europe patent offices california refinance Buspar zarytus long length blouses Download iis world wide web server Interior designer contract vehicle rental moving companies library of congress patents Marine corps wedding invitations shober patents Plastic surgeon pediatric raleigh http://www.patents3.info/Database-office-patent-trademark.html Vardenafil generic free samples

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home