Sunday, February 12, 2006

Meeting an antarctic explorer--randomly

I noted earlier that one of the things I liked about running was how it helps you learn a city quickly. A second thing is the occasonal random meeting that turns into a joy.

I run for competition, and it's rare that there's somebody my equal on the road--it's not bragging if it's true. So tonight, a drizzly cold night, running on the roads around Hampstead Heath, I saw myself looking at the heels of a very strong runner, so I knew it wasn't an ordinary duffer. As we topped out on Hampstead Road at the top of the hill, I caught up with him and began making conversation. Turns out, in addition to running marathons and such, he's taking part in an Antarctic Expedition.

Makes a little marathon run seem like a walk in the park.

(Incidentally, he's one of the few people in the world I've ever talked to who knew immediately of one of my favorite web sites, Big Dead Place, for reasons that will be obvious if you follow the link.)

Anyway, good luck to Tony and the rest of the expedition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home