Friday, July 25, 2008

How Much London Costs

The human resources consultants Mercer have released an annual list (at least I think it's annual) of the most expensive cities to live in worldwide. London fell one place to number three, after Moscow and Tokyo. Washington, D.C., tumbled a long way, to 107 from 85. One city whose ranking I don't quite understand is Houston, still up at 98 (but down from 83). I'm familiar with the relative real estate prices in those two metro areas (Washington vs. Houston) and I find it hard to believe, unless somehow the cost of gasoline has made it much more costly to live in Houston these days. I'm left here scratching my head.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Middle Kid said...

Remember that, while Texas has no income tax, the property taxes are pretty high. Maybe that has something to do with it.

12:37 AM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

I know a number of people who have transferred from the Houston area to the D.C. area and all of them complain about how much more expensive it is to live in D.C.!

2:17 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

I heard today that one of the reasons Houston is considered expensive is because of a longer than average commute and no reliable mass transportation. So, considering I only drive 7 miles to work and thus my commute is short, Houston remains an economical spot for me!

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home