Saturday, March 15, 2008

Lenten Promises

As Smitty says, if it weren't for catblogging and apologies...

Yes, I've been a bad blogger. And since this is Lent, the time for repentence and penance, I confess my negligence and vow to be a more regular blogger.

Speaking of Lenten promises, this year I gave up shopping for 40 days. Food shopping and shopping for absolute necessities (i.e. shelves for our many towels) are excepted. But I haven't bought any new clothes, or new jewelry, or anything else that I don't need. I took this on in part because we have a bit less storage space in the new flat, and since I was giving clothes away, it didn't make much sense to buy more that I couldn't fit into my wardrobe. (I've already commandeered half of Smitty's closet space.) Oddly enough, I haven't missed retail therapy. It's been liberating to delete e-mailed missives from Amazon and Marks & Spencer proclaiming the good news of 40 percent off shoes.

Lent ends with Easter. And at that time, I will be in the U.S., visiting my family in New Jersey, where there is no sales tax on clothes. I don't think I'll be able to resist a little shopping -- after all, with exchange rate as they are, it's all 50 percent off -- but I hope I'll be able to restrain myself...

1 Comments:

Blogger oldest kid said...

Maybe you can wait until Easter Monday. Then Lent will be over, and you can enjoy the after-Easter sales!

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home