Sunday, February 04, 2007

Apologies

Apologies for not having posted in a while. And strangely enough, this post is about ... apologies.

My colleague and I took a quintessential Englishman out to lunch this past week, someone the locals here would call a "top toff boffin." Early in our meal I said something about Canada. He looked at me with interest and said, "Oh, are you Canadian?" I said, "No, I'm American." There was a pause, and suddenly I remembered that I'd heard him speak against the Iraq war at a conference. So I blurted, "I'm sorry."
"Sorry for what?"
"Um, for George Bush. Not that I voted for him or anything. And, uh, for Iraq."
"Well, in that case, I should apologize for Tony Blair. He's just as bad."

And then we had a lovely lunch, feeding upon various animals which won't be listed here, knowing that, like the people we had apologized for, we were on the same side. I should join the State Department.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home