Friday, January 05, 2007

Reunited And It Feels So Good

Sunday and football (American style)--it just feels right.

A present to ourselves this Christmas was to upgrade to the Sky Sports-n-Movies package, which gives us access to four new sports channels and 12 movie channels. Sky carries most of the games from the English football Premiership, along with much of the international cricket coverage (including the Ashes), so if you want to follow traditionally English sports you gotta cough up the extra money for Sky Sports (or spend a lot of time, too much time, in pubs). But happily, in addition to all that, Sky Sports brings the NFL to British viewers. They appear to simply take the direct U.S. network feeds, but it is strange to hear the English accents of the British-based studio commentators during breaks in play. Something tells me that no English bloke will ever be able to say "FUUUUMMMMMBBBLLLUUHHH" like Keith Jackson. (Actually, one of the two commentators last Sunday was an American who, as they say, is not quite ready for prime time.) We are happy we've decided to do this just in time for the NFL playoffs. Go Bearrsss. (Mrs. Werbenmanjensen can declare her loyalty in comments. Never mind that--I'll cheer for the Giants, too.)

We also got the Sky movies bit of the package in time for the New Year's Day showing of all six of the Star Wars episodes in chronological order (that means showing Eps 1-6 in order, not going 4-5-6 and then returning to 1-2-3). But because I screwed up the PIN, we missed all of them. Happily, that meant we didn't have to suffer through the wooden acting of Christensen and Portman.



(The best parts got cut, it appears.)

9 Comments:

Blogger Middle Kid said...

The Missus likes football? Mr. MK wishes he were so lucky.

I, luckily, missed SW 1 and 2, but I had to sit through SW 3 with MKOK at the theater. I started laughing at the bad acting at one part and got in big trouble.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

You only got in trouble from your kid. I was getting angry glares from the rest of the audience.

"You were the chosen one!!!!"

3:56 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

Hmm, I seem to remember the angry stares Smitty got, but he wasn't the only one laughing!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

In the YouTube clip there, I like the bloopers where Hayden Christensen falls. There are several.

4:16 PM  
Blogger John Burkholder said...

Go BEARS!

You managed to pick up football at just the right time. Frankly, I cannot imagine commentary with a British accent. I would end up laughing.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Werbenmanjensen said...

For the record, GO GIANTS!!!!!!! (Even though it is a long shot and Eli isn't my favorite Manning.)

Back to SW. I was pretty shirty about the whole missing of the saga. 12 hours of Star Wars!!! (Well, OK, I was going to skip the first one entirely.) It's the main reason I finally capitulated to Smitty's pleas for more channels.

On the plus side, we have the footy (American style) and the channel that will show the Oscars. I LOVE the Oscars. I wonder if I can take the following day off...

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Total jealousy. I was perusing the Times this morning and saw that LaDainian Tomlinson was MVP in the NFL. As an ex-TCU person who saw him play a coupla times and taught some of his cohorts, it made my Sunday. Unfortunately Mr. Expat gets all the Formula 1 that he wants on Freeview so my chances of getting Sky are nil. Cheers and enjoy.
Northsylvania, other expat

5:33 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Ah, football... I thought we were only going to need 1 tv for awhile... but I forgot how much football is available for my hubby to watch... *sigh*

2:05 AM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

I remain unable to understand anyone's interest in such a boring sport. The only sport more boring than football is baseball, although at least in baseball you can see what the players actually look like. In football they all look the same, with huge necks and monstrous shoulders. Of course in baseball many of them seem to have slight pot bellies.

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home