Saturday, December 30, 2006

Repurposing The Tower Of London

The water moat outside the Tower of London's outer walls was an engineering feat. A Flemish engineer named John Le Fosser designed it so that tidal flows of the Thames River would feed the moat daily. With such a flow in the moat, the Tower's residents felt they could use the moat to, well, passively remove the waste produced inside the walls. It was unfortunate that over time sedimentation disrupted Le Fosser's design. It was even more unfortunate that the Tower's dwellers continued to dispose of their waste in the moat. By the time of Queen Victoria, the moat was nothing but an open sewer, and Victoria wisely ordered the moat to be drained.

Today, you can skate there.



The Tower's rink is one of several temporary rinks set up throughout the city over the holidays, including one near our flat, in Hampstead Heath.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Middle Kid said...

So, did you and the missus skate?

9:12 PM  
Blogger R. Titus said...

ok so I'm a little freaked out.

I mean. 1st I Google London doctor prescription and I find an amusing blog from an American couple which made me laugh out loud. but then as I'm voyeuristically reading the blog I discover we are neighbors.

that's downright creepy.

I'll keep reading and maybe we'll meet up for a coffee at that lovely little pizza place at the end of the street, which BTW has the only damn cup of espresso worth a damn around here.

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home