Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Another Day, Another City

I'm in Birmingham right now, England's second city lovingly known as Brum. The wireless connection at this conference center is somewhat fakakta--if I buy four pounds worth of food or drink at the cafe, I get 15 minutes of access--although my wireless at the hotel is free. I was told of Birmingham's "second city" status by the bartender at the hotel last night. It's a short train ride via Chiltern or Virgin railways up to here, although I'm not sure why anybody would come here if not attending a conference (this is the reason why cities build conference centers). Downtown Birmingham reminds me of a cross between Dallas and Pittsburgh, with a little Peoria thrown in. There's a nice restored canal lined with cafes and a number of civic amenities, including a sports center where a major international indoor track meet is held each winter. Anyway, more later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I hope you're talking four pounds of food in money, not weight. Otherwise, you may have problems walking back to the free internet at your hotel. :)

12:57 AM  
Blogger Whispers said...

Brum would probably rank about 75th on my "places to visit while in England" list. Like you say, there is little reason to go there if not attending a conference. Of course, I visited there while attending a conference. Perhaps I'm being unfair.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home