Sunday, June 25, 2006

Softball, London style

Some call it rounders. I call it softball, London style.

Apparently the American ex-pats around town have convinced enough Brits to create a softball league, of which I am a part. We play in Regent's Park one night a week. For me, it's become a sort of equalizer. I mean, here is one area of my life in London where I actually know the rules, and know how to play, and compared to the other ladies in our league, I am not half bad.

It's funny watching the rookies learn how to hold a bat. I was trying to explain some points to a British woman, who was looking more and more confused, when a fellow Brit chimed in, "Let me explain it to her in terms she can understand." He proceeded to compare it to cricket, and immediately a light bulb appeared over the newbie's head. But it's really not at all like cricket, to my mind. Especially when it comes to batting -- it's a different kind of swing.

What I will say in favor of the Brits who play with us -- they are good sports and eager to learn, and they bring better beer than my U.S. counterparts would. So eat your heart out, Mike Mussina! (Did I just use an exclamation point?

2 Comments:

Blogger City Slicker said...

Very funny
Really enjoying your site
Keep it up!!!!!! - yes, I am a Yank
Cityslicker

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my 7th heaven episode guide site.
Have a great day!

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home