Wednesday, May 17, 2006

McCartney vs. Kanye

The big news in London today was the marital strife of Paul McCartney, everyone's favorite Beatle except for me (I'm a Ringo girl).

The man who sang "We can work it out" and "Take a sad song and make it better" apparently can't. Which made me think he needed to listen to some Kanye West. And I quote:

If you aint no punk holla We Want Prenupt
WE WANT PRENUPT!, Yeaah
It's something that you need to have
Cause when she leave yo *ss she gone leave with half

Unfortunately for Sir Paul, prenuptial agreements don't hold up in UK courts, so I am told. The talking heads on the Beeb wasted no time in talking about how much Sir Paul might be on the hook for if they get divorced (he's worth 800-850 million pounds, or more than $1 billion). But I'm not sayin' she's a gold digger...

The discussion around the water cooler prompted me to bring up Kanye's apt lyrics (or "dope rhymes") but the Brits in the crowd seemed a bit confused. I got the same look from them as I do when I call someone "dude." More to come on the pop culture gap.

9 Comments:

Blogger Middle Kid said...

Too bad Anna Nicole Smith didn't marry some really old, rich, British dude.

3:17 AM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

I only like the dead Beatles. Paul and Ringo can cram it, as far as I'm concerned. If they had their way, orchards would have to rename apples to "Beatlefruit" and make them pay a licensing fee.

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul McCartney wrote "Uncle Albert" (a/k/a "Admiral Halsey Notified Me") and fires staff members, no appeals and no references, if they're ever caught eating meat. For those two sins alone, he deserves to be taken to the cleaners.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Middle Kid said...

I like the no meat eating thing. He deserves to be taken to the cleaners for "Junior's Farm."

7:11 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

But, I think he was very much in love with Linda, so doesn't he get some credit for that! And, the Beatles wouldn't have been the Beatles without Paul!

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fine and admirable to avoid meat, and even advocate the avoidance of meat, as a personal health or moral choice. Gandhi, Leonardo da Vinci and George Bernard Shaw are A-OK in my book. What I object to is McCartney's bullying. What would you think if some gun-crazy Hollywood conservative--i.e. Charlton Heston, Kurt Russell or Rick Schroder--fired staff without references for being vegetarian? It's exactly the same thing. People have the right to vote, worship and eat the way they want. But apparently the composer of "Uncle Albert" and "Junior's Farm" feels he has the right to force people to do as he does.

2:38 PM  
Blogger oldest kid said...

There are companies here in the US that fire their employees if they smoke, even it it's in their own home, on their own time.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know. It's comforting to know that U.S. corporations have the same hiring-and-firing policies as Adolf Hitler (and I say this as a militant anti-smoker).

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » » »

5:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home