Sunday, November 11, 2007

Signs You're Becoming An Englishman

We were watching Fawlty Towers on DVD last night, when the following bit of dialogue took place:
The Major: Strange creatures, women. I knew one once... striking-looking girl... tall, you know... father was a banker.
Basil: Really?
The Major: Don't remember the name of the bank.
Basil: Nevermind.
The Major: I must have been rather keen on her because I took her to see... India!
Basil: India?
The Major: At the Oval... fine match, marvellous finish... now, Surrey had to get thirty-three in about half an hour... she went off to powder her... powder her hands or something... women... er... never came back.

I found myself laughing at the reference to the Oval. It would have been lost on me two years ago.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can certainly relate to that story after a few years in the UK. You either begin to assimilate or just wander Blighty confused. While I spend plenty of time doing the latter, the former is the better approach.

Nice site. Hello from a fellow expat up the M40.

3:53 PM  
Blogger Smitty Werbenmanjensen said...

Hey, Chris, thanks for dropping by. I've bookmarked your page and will blogroll you when I open the template.

MK, click through on the Oval link in the post and all will be clear.

9:47 PM  
Blogger MKOK said...

Like MK said: huh?

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home